Title: Business Development Director, Center for Disaster Philanthropy
Position Type: Contract/Consultant
Start Date: September 2017
The Opportunity The Center for Disaster Philanthropy is seeking a Director of Business Development (Director) who will work to improve our organization’s market position and achieve significant financial growth. This person will help define long-term earned income goals that align with organizational objectives; cultivate and steward key CDP client relationships; identify new business opportunities; negotiate and close business deals; and maintain extensive knowledge of current market conditions.
The Director will help manage existing clients and ensure they are engaged and satisfied with CDP consulting services. This person will call on clients, often developing solutions and services that meet or predict clients’ future needs.
Responsibilities & Duties The primary role of the CDP Business Development Director is to prospect for new clients—through networking, cold calling, advertising, etc.—to intentionally build a robust prospect pipeline. This person will work with the CDP team to develop and implement persuasive approaches and pitches that convert leads into customers.
The Director will develop a rapport with new clients and provide ongoing client support that will continually deepen relationships. This person will grow and retain existing clients by presenting new solutions and services to clients.
Strategy is a key part of this position, since it is the Director’s responsibility to develop the pipeline of new business coming into CDP. This requires a thorough knowledge of the market, the solutions/services CDP provides, and of our organization’s competitors. With a clear understanding of CDP’s three-year business plan, the Director will establish quarterly sales targets and be accountable for delivering on stated revenue, expense, and profitability goals. Additionally, the Director will be responsible for updating and evolving CDP’s business plan and financial goals as needed and appropriate based on ongoing learning, feedback, and experience.
The main duties of the Business Development Director are summarized as follows:
New Business Development
- Prospects for potential new client and business opportunities.
- Screens potential business opportunities by analyzing market strategies, deal requirements, potential, and financials; evaluates options, resolves internal priorities, and recommends equity investments.
- Cold calls as appropriate to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities.
- Meets potential clients by growing, maintaining, and leveraging various networks.
- Attends events and conferences, and provides feedback and information on market and creative trends.
- Researches and builds relationships with new clients.
- Sets up meetings between client decision makers and CDP’s leaders/principals.
- Works with CDP team to author proposals that address client’s needs, concerns, and objectives.
- Closes new business deals by coordinating requirements; developing and negotiating contracts; integrating contract requirements with business operations.
- Protects CDP’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Presents new products and services and enhance existing relationships.
- Works with technical staff and other internal colleagues to meet customer needs.
- Arranges and participates in internal and external client debriefs.
Management and Research
- Submits weekly progress reports and ensures data is accurate.
- Ensures that constituent data is accurately entered and managed within CDP’s CRM, Hatchbuck.
- Forecasts and meets sales targets.
- Updates and evolves CDP’s business plan and financial goals as needed and appropriate based on ongoing learning, feedback, and experience.
Metrics for Success
- Year-over-year growth of products and offerings
- New business generated
- Pipeline of prospects developed
- Health of relationships managed
- MBA preferred; bachelors degree in a related field required;
- Minimum 5-7 years of sales or marketing experience;
- Extremely strong attention to detail and a strong sense of personal responsibility for one’s work;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills; and,
- United States citizenship.
- Ability to work in a mission-driven, cross-cultural, geographically dispersed team environment.
- Strong strategy and leadership skills in the context of building and implementing high-impact cross-sector partnerships.
- Track record of cultivating collaborative partnerships and delivering results.
- Proven ability to produce winning proposals.
- Significant progressive and proven ability to successfully develop and manage all aspects of complex development programs.
- Exemplary sales and communication skills, including the ability to convey complex ideas in presentations for a variety of audiences small and large.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability for delivering high-quality work to internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Excellent interpersonal and listening skills. Ability to interact with all levels of staff in a professional manner.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to manage deadlines and to work independently.
- Excellent level of technical and selling knowledge in all areas.
- Excellent research and analysis skills.
- Experience with CRMs and marketing/email automation software.
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to work independently, self motivated
- Intentionally collaborative team player with a sense of humor
- Deadline driven and detail oriented
Must be able to travel a significant amount of time.
The Director will report to CDP’s President and CEO, and will work closely with CDP’s Vice President and Director of Marketing and Communications. Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Veterans and persons from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.