The Center for Disaster Philanthropy is a full-time resource to help donors make more thoughtful disaster-related giving decisions and maximize the impact of their gifts.
Never before have we experienced humanitarian crises of such frequency and intensity. Yet with each event, donors are giving record amounts with unprecedented speed, often making decisions based on impulse and limited information. These gifts are given with the best of intentions, but donors may question if their money is being well spent and whether they have significantly improved the lives of people in need.
The Center for Disaster Philanthropy (CDP) is a full-time resource to help donors make more thoughtful disaster-related giving decisions and maximize the impact of their gifts.
CDP leadership and staff are guided by a Board of Directors, and an Advisory Council. We also partner with several organizations and work in concert with our funders.
CDP’s mission is to transform disaster giving by providing timely and thoughtful strategies to increase donors’ impact during domestic and international disasters.
With an emphasis on recovery and disaster risk reduction, CDP aims to:
- Increase the effectiveness of contributions given to disasters;
- Bring greater attention to the life cycle of disasters, from preparedness and planning, to relief, to rebuilding and recovery efforts;
- Provide timely and relevant advice from experts with deep knowledge of disaster philanthropy;
- Conduct due diligence so donors can give with confidence; and
- Create plans for informed giving for individuals, corporations and foundations.