Welcome and Thank You: Advisory Council News
We were pleased to welcome several new members to the Center for Disaster Philanthropy (CDP) Advisory Council earlier this month, albeit saddened to say goodbye to three long-time members.
Although CDP has a board of directors holding fiduciary responsibility and setting policy and strategic directions, the Advisory Council serves as a disaster philanthropy “think tank” for the organization. It brings together bright minds from philanthropy, philanthropy-serving organizations, academia, CDP partners, clients and domestic and international humanitarian organizations. Members serve two-year terms, which can be renewed for a second term.
The Advisory Council provides expert guidance and advice to CDP staff and board members in disaster management and philanthropic engagement so that CDP can ensure it best represents the needs of disaster-affected populations and the donor community. We think of it as our “brain trust,” allowing us to think differently about our work and to share new ideas. Council members also serve as ambassadors of CDP to increase the Center’s visibility and reach.
Outgoing members are:
- William (Bill) Garvelink, Senior Adviser to International Medical Corps
- Susan Martin, Donald G. Herzberg Professor Emerita of International Migration, Georgetown University
- April D. Wood, Senior Director, External Program Services, Disaster Operations, American Red Cross
We thank them for their combined nearly 25 years of service to CDP. And a special congratulations to April, who is moving from the Red Cross to take on the position of president and CEO of National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters. Susan recently wrote a blog for CDP in honor of World Refugee Day. We also want to thank Bill for his many years spent chairing the Advisory Council.
Incoming members are:
- Brian Fogle, President, Community Foundation of the Ozarks
- Biz Ghormley, Coalition and Convening Manager, CHANGE Philanthropy
- Alan Kwok, Director of Climate and Disaster Resilience, Philanthropy California
- Daniel Maxwell, Henry J. Leir Professor in Food Security and Research Director, Feinstein International Center, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University
- Lori Peek, Professor in the Department of Sociology and Director of the Natural Hazards Center, University of Colorado Boulder
- Grace Sato, Director of Research, Candid
- Traci Slater-Rigaud, Director of Member Engagement & Partnerships, United Philanthropy Forum
We welcome everyone to CDP and are so excited to have them joining our Advisory Council. We appreciate you taking on the role and welcome our shared learning in the years to come.
They are joining the following incumbent members:
- Isabel Barrios, Program Officer, Greater New Orleans Foundation
- Katherine Boatwright, Director of Operations, National VOAD (Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster)
- John Cooper, Assistant VP Public Partnership & Outreach, Texas A&M University
- Alexander J. Diaz, Crisis Response & Humanitarian Aid, Google.org
- Maureen Lawless, Vice President and Director of Member Services, The Funders Network
- Stephanie Powers, Senior Advisor for Public Policy & Partnerships, Council on Foundations
- Julien Schopp, Vice President of Humanitarian Policy and Practice, InterAction
- Jeff Schlegelmilch, Director, National Center for Disaster Preparedness, The Earth Institute | Columbia University
We thank them for their continued service to CDP. And we welcome John Cooper as our incoming Chair.