The Center for Disaster Philanthropy (CDP) is the only full-time national resource dedicated to helping donors maximize their impact by making more intentional disaster-related giving decisions.
With the increasing frequency and intensity of disasters comes the critical need for knowing when and how to respond effectively. CDP’s innovative strategies advance donors’ values, increase the impact of their contributions, meet the needs of vulnerable populations and ultimately, strengthen their communities.
CDP is guided by a Board of Directors and an Advisory Council; Grant Committees advise on a fund-specific basis. We also partner with several organizations and work in concert with our clients and funders.
CDP’s goal is to transform disaster giving by providing timely and thoughtful strategies to increase donors’ impact during domestic and global disasters and humanitarian crises.
With an emphasis on medium- to long-term recovery, CDP’s work:
- Increases the effectiveness of contributions given to disasters.
- Brings greater attention to the life cycle of disasters — from preparedness, mitigation and planning to rebuilding, resilience and recovery.
- Provides timely and relevant advice from experts with deep knowledge of disaster philanthropy.
- Conducts due diligence so donors can give with confidence.
- Creates plans for informed giving for individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Supports targeted, localized and holistic grantmaking.