In response to the needs that will arise following Hurricane Florence, Hurricane Michael and other storms that may hit throughout the Atlantic hurricane season, the CDP 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season Recovery Fund will focus on medium- and long-term recovery needs, including rebuilding homes and businesses; meeting the needs of young children; and supporting mental health (among other needs). Specific locations and funding gaps to address unmet needs will be determined by a grant committee that will be established to guide CDP’s staff and board.
The Fund will explore investing in all geographic areas affected by this season’s Atlantic hurricanes.
The 2017 hurricane recovery funds are emblematic of CDP’s approach to investments. For Hurricane Harvey, allocations were made within months following the hurricane’s landfall. Meanwhile Irma and Maria presented unique situations – particularly in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean – that required rigorous, extended assessments to reflect the complex on-the-ground situation to ensure good stewardship of the funds.
The CDP 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season Recovery Fund allows donors to give now to support recovery needs that will continue to surface throughout many parts of the United States and the Caribbean long after our attention has turned away from these major weather events. Through CDP’s unparalleled expertise in disaster management and grantmaking, we will invest in projects and initiatives that:
- Support vulnerable populations whose lives and livelihoods have been devastated;
- Emphasize funding that is medium- and long-term in nature and based upon prevailing needs that emerge in the weeks and months to come;
- Fill in gaps where public resources are unavailable or scarce;
- Foster collaborative relationships among donors – including the sharing of information with funders and nonprofit organizations; and,
- Promote cross-sector coordination with government agencies, academics, donors, think tanks, and public/private humanitarian actors.
The programmatic expertise of CDP’s board, staff, and advisory council – paired with an extensive network of disaster management actors and academics – guides our grantmaking strategy. Emphasis is placed on investing well rather than investing quickly, addressing the greatest needs and gaps in funding that may yet to emerge. CDP will provide due diligence so donors can give to the fund with confidence and ensured.
Thank you to the following donors for their generous support of the CDP 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season Recovery Fund:
- The Patterson Foundation – To read more about their contribution, click here.
- Bohemian Foundation
- The NIKE Foundation
- T. Rowe Price
- The UPS Foundation
- The Crown Family
- 21st Century Fox
- The Celia Lipton Farris & Victor W. Farris Foundation
- The Mote Scientific Foundation
For information on the work of CDP’s 2017 hurricane funds and how money is being allocated, please see:
- CDP 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Recovery Fund
- CDP Hurricane Irma Recovery Fund
- CDP Hurricane Harvey Recovery Fund
For more information, contact:
Regine A. Webster, Vice President
Robert G. Ottenhoff, President & CEO