When giving to a disaster, you want to be confident your donations go to established, trustworthy organizations making a local impact for a given crisis. The innovative partnership between Google and the Center for Disaster Philanthropy helps you do exactly that.
How It Works
Here’s how Google and CDP work together to provide donors worldwide the opportunity to be responsive and effective with their disaster giving.
- When a disaster or crisis event happens, Google looks to CDP for prompt, expert analysis of where donations should be transferred. A 501c3 nonprofit organization, CDP’s mission is to provide donors timely and effective strategies to increase their disaster giving impact.
- Leveraging an extensive partner network, CDP conducts an in-depth assessment of the short- and long-term needs of the affected community.
- After determining how the local response is unfolding, CDP identifies organizations who are best positioned to fill any unmet needs. Organizations vetted by CDP are known for their integrity, effectiveness, and creativity in disaster response work, and often lead the way in humanitarian work and initiatives around the world.
- CDP transfers donations in the most efficient way possible directly to the responding organizations on the ground.
As of December 20, 2017, we have awarded grants to the following organizations:
- Catholic Relief Services for Chilean Wildfires
- Red Cross New Zealand for Christchurch Fires
- San Jose Flood Victims Relief Fund (Silicon Valley Community Foundation) for San Jose Floods
- SEED Madagascar for Tropical Cyclone Enawo
- Lutheran World Relief for Columbia Mocoa Flooding
- Save the Children USA for Cyclone Cook
- CARE USA (to distribute to CARE Peru) for Peru Flooding
- ADRA South America Division for Comodoro Rivadavia Flooding in Argentina
- Samaritan’s Purse for Quebec Flooding
- Sarvodaya USA for Sri Lanka Flooding
- Tzu Chi USA for South African Kynsna Fires
- Salvation Army (West Cape Division) for Cape Town Storm
- Bangladesh Red Crescent Society for Bangladesh Landslides
- IFRC for Portugal Wildfires
- Direct Relief for Tropical Storm Cindy
- The Asia Foundation for Sichuan Landslide
- The Nature Conservancy Europe for Donana National Park Wildfires
- Shakti Samuha for Southern Nepal Floods
- Save the Children USA for Sierra Leone Mudslides
- CDP Hurricane Harvey Recovery Fund for Hurricane Harvey
- Plan USA to Plan Bangladesh for South Asia Floods (Bangladesh)
- CDP Hurricane Irma Recovery Fund for Hurricane Irma
- Habitat for Humanity Chiapas Affiliate for Chiapas Earthquake
- CDP Atlantic Hurricanes Recovery Fund for Hurricane Maria
- CDP Mexico Earthquake Recovery Fund for Central Mexico Earthquake